Page 1 - Hate ad banners/AOL? Take 'em out
ICQ was a great little program, then AOL bought ICQ. It's all been down hill ever since.
It's been classified as bloatwear by many people and the banner ads they implemented just
crossed the line. This guide will tell you how to fight the man.
I will concentrate on two topics: removing the ICQ SMS button and removing all the ads
from the ICQ dialouges. Lets get started.
Removing the ICQ SMS Button
I'm going to try and keep this as simple as possible. It should be easily understood
1. Open up regedit (Start menu -> run, then type in regedit)
2. Go to the following path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mirabilis\ICQ\DefaultPrefs
3. Double click on the "Auto Update" string, change the value to No
4. Close regedit
5. Open windows explorer, or whatever you use to browse your computer's files
6. Go to X:\Program Files\ICQ\partners, where X = your drive's partition letter
7. (Win9x, or ME) Hold shift, right click on partner.xml, and open with Notepad
(Win2k) Right click on partner.xml, open with Notepad
8. Delete all contents of the file and save it
9. Close the file, right click on it again and go to properties
10. In the properties dialouge, check the Read Only check box, press Ok
11. You're done, just restart ICQ!
After you have followed all these steps, it hasn't worked, and then you've
followed all the steps again, you can email me @
Now we'll move onto the removal of the ads.
Join Xtreme Tek's Mailing List